Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Was that Chicken Good or What?


Here it goes. I am starting a blog ala Julie and Julia and taking on the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution with his book Jamie’s Food Revolution in which everyone in the book is “passed on” . . . a recipe that is. At first I thought, wow those Brits really are dying to get some decent food--ah, separated by a common language.

So I am not challenging myself to do recipes almost every day from Jamie's book, and I am not going to study that loose lipped Limey's life :>), but my eight year old son, Joe, is so into it that I probably will be doing more than Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday which I planned to do after his “cool down” walk post-karate practice to the store to get fresh ingredients for dinner because Joe has looked through the cookbook and keeps requesting new meals.

So here we go and here are the first results:

The first was the Crunchy Garlic Chicken (p 241). We had ours with a baked potato. I call it a baked potato, even though it is cooked in the microwave and is really steamed. I put in three or four ice cubes right on the plate, place a microwave cover over and cook the desired time. They come out nice and fluffy with no hard skin. Joe loves them and eats every ort, so I am happy with it. I was able to get him to try these potatoes by saying the inside was mashed just like the inside of a French fry. It worked.

Okay, what the hell is a Jacob’s cracker and further more cream crackers? Maybe tea sippin’ toffee crunchin’ little cake nibblin’ folks know more about crackers or are more crackers. I used water crackers, but three times as much as what was called for in the recipe. I needed it, but it must be that American breasts are much bigger than British breasts.

It was fun to smash the chicken flat with the cast iron skillet, but when I tired to take a picture of Joe doing it, we got into an argument and he sequestered himself in his room for ten minutes. These modern kids give themselves time-outs.

Hey, but the first recipe was a hit and Joe told mom as he was getting in bed: "Was that chicken good or what?" Now that is something you want to hear. Joe's buddy Haris on the other hand ate the chicken and potato, but pushed the crust to the side and left the potato skin.

Not going to please them all, but hopefully this will be a tasty ride as we join the revolution . . . the revolution? . . . a Brit and a revolution . . . sounds a bit odd.

2 comments:

  1. Jim:

    Thanks for the pasteries this morning. Margot and Kayla enjoyed them as did I.

    Mark Shafron

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome; it was my pleasure. Jim

    ReplyDelete